My life as a Mommy of 4 little boys

Monday, August 1, 2011

Recipe Reviews for the week of 7/25-7/30

We tried most of the recipes from last week, most were really yummy too!!!  Since most of the recipes this time were from a magazine and not online I'll post the really good recipes.


No new recipes for breakfast

Lunches:
Sassy Tailgate Sandwiches (we actually ended up having these for dinner last night).  They were ok.  They tasted good but weren't great and the textures were just a little weird for us.  Probably not something I'll make again but was an alright meal.  They definitely weren't bad and are worth trying

12 Hawaiian Sweet Rolls, split
1lb shaved black forest ham (I didn't use quite that much)
12oz Gruyere cheese, sliced (I used swiss because there was only one variety of gruyere at the store I went to and it was VERY expensive...I also didn't need 12oz, probably more like 8oz)
1 8oz tub of Chive and onion cream cheese (again didn't use this much, I used like 1/3 of the tub MAYBE, it would have been wayyyy too much had I used all of it)
1/2c butter, melted
1/4c parm cheese
1Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. dried minced onion

1. Arrange bottoms of rolls in greased 13x9 baking dish.  Layer with ham and cheese.  Spread each roll top with cream cheese and place on top of cheese.
2. In small bowl, combine the butter, parm cheese, worcestershire sauce and onion.  Pour over sandwiches.  Let stand for at least 20min.
3. Cover and bake at 350 for 20min or until heated through.


That was the only new recipes for lunch...I didn't end up making the mini tacos because I couldn't find wonton wrappers at Walmart.  

For snacks I tried a couple new things with the boys and both were big hits.  One was the frozen bananas I did a blog about a few days ago.  Then they tried the Bananas Foster crunch mix which they loved.  They are still eating on it because it made a lot.

Bananas foster crunch mix recipe:
In a microwave safe bowl, cook 1/3c each of butter and brown sugar on high for 2min, stirring once.  Stir in 1/2tsp each of ground cinnamon, banana extract and rum extract.  Pour mixture over 3c each of Honey Nut Chex and Cinnamon Chex, 2c of pecan halves and 1 1/2c of dried banana chips; toss.  Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes, stirring after each minute.  Cool on waxed paper.  


We didn't make the peach leather but I think I'm going to do that today if I can stand to have the oven on...maybe I'll do it tonight and give it to them tomorrow.  Also didn't try the fruit gazpacho because we couldn't find a good cantaloupe...sad that it looks like their season is over :(


Dinners:
We tried the pepperoni pizza casserole which I thought was really good.  Mark liked it but said he was expecting something else, more pizza flavor, though I think it tasted a lot like pizza.  Hayden liked it but Landon and Casen didn't because they are trying to be super picky lately and don't like chunks of tomatoes which it had in there, they could have picked them out but apparently they would rather go hungry lol.  

Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
1pkg 16oz egg noodles ( I think mine was actually 12oz)
2lbs ground turkey (I used 1lb and it was plenty, you could also do sausage to make it more pizza like)
1/2c chopped onion (I used dried)
1 jar 26oz meatless spaghetti sauce
1 can 10oz of diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 can 8oz of mushroom stems and pieces, drained (left this out)
2c shredded mozzarella cheese
2c shredded cheddar cheese
1c shredded parm cheese
3oz pepperoni

1. In a dutch oven, cook noodles according to package directions, drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook ground turkey and chopped onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, drain.  Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.  Stir in noodles.  
3. Transfer to 2 greased 13x9 baking dishes (I used 1).  Sprinkle each with mushrooms, cheeses and pepperoni
4. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30-35min or until heated through and cheeses have melted.   Let stand 5min before serving.


Then we had nacho cheese beef bake, again pretty good but not amazing.  Landon loved this though, he ate 2 helpings.  Hayden liked it too, Casen didn't want to even try it, I think he had a couple bites just so he could get down from the table.  Me and Mark liked it, not sure it will e one I make again though....maybe I will since Landon liked it so much.  

Nacho Cheese Beef Bake
2c uncooked egg noodles
1lb ground beef
1 can 14 1/2oz diced tomatoes undrained (I used fire roasted)
1 can condensed nacho cheese soup, undiluted
1 jar sliced pimiento-stuffed olives, drained (left this out)
1 can (4oz) chopped green chilies
1 1/2c shredded cheddar cheese
2c crushed tortilla chips
1/2c ranch dressing
Shredded lettuce, sour cream and/or salsa, optional

1. Cook noodles according to package directions, drain.  Meanwhile, in large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, drain.  Stir in tomatoes, soup, olives and chilies.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 10min.  Stir in noodles. 
2. Transfer to a greased 11x7 baking dish.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake at 350 for 15-20min until heated through.  Top with tortilla chips, drizzle with salad dressing.  Serve with lettuce, sour cream and/or salsa if desired.  


Then we had Cheesy ham and hashbrown casserole for dinner one night.  I really liked it, Mark liked it but said he liked the one we had a couple weeks ago with the stuffing in it better. I tried telling him this was completely different lol, it had no eggs.  The boys really liked it too.  I think it needed a bit more seasoning but otherwise was really yummy.  I will def make it again.  

I think that's about it.  We had planned to have the Ranch-parm chicken last night and have Chris and Dessa over again.  We all seriously LOVED that chicken!!! You have to try it!   But Preston was just so miserable last night that we cancelled those plans.  I was supposed to try a new recipe for pan seared corn on the cob so I'm hoping to make that with another meal later this week, it looks really yummy. 

But Dessa made her and Chris the ranch-parm chicken at her house last night!!!!  She did so great, I helped her over the phone.  It's her first time learning to cook really.  She can do basic things like hamburger helper, spaghetti and other things like that.  But she doesn't really cook much and I'm determined to get her cooking more food for her and Chris that way when the baby is here and ready to start eating she can prepare foods for her family :)  Last night she did GREAT!!!  She made the chicken and then some sweet potatoes glazed with butter and brown sugar and made mac and cheese to go with it too.  Go Dessa!!!!!   


I'll be back with our menu for this week in a little while :)

No comments:

Post a Comment